Keli, Megan, Andrea, Bailey, Katie and Hannah on top of the “Cool Runnings” mountain

Today we were up by seven to eat another great meal served to us.  Then, we had a lecture on safety and began snorkeling around the Turtle Grass Sea Bed, right on the compound where we are staying.  We did not receive much instruction, and basically just grabbed a buddy and started snorkeling.  Some people only snorkeled for 45 minutes, but some people (like Katie and me) snorkeled for 2 1/2!  The ocean wasn’t as clear and beautiful as I thought it would be, but it was cloudy, and I hear other places we will be snorkeling have more of an “ooo-ahhh” affect.  After snorkeling came lunch, and after lunch we went into town (the town of Discovery Bay).  Many of us went to the “cambio” to exchange money.  We all feel rich carrying around $1,000 bills. (I think that 70 Jamaican dollars is equal to 1 US dollar.)  As soon as we came back from town we immediately had a lecture on the Turtle Grass Sea Bed.  Then some of us went into the wet lab (where we are housing all of the specimen that we collect when snorkeling) to identify what we have collected thus far.  We will be tested on those specimen in exactly one week!  The really cool part of the day was climbing the mountain where a scene from Cool Runnings was filmed.  At the top we were able to take great scenic pictures of the ocean, and we learned a lot about bauxite, because we  could see the port where bauxite is shipped.  From what I’ve learned, bauxite is Jamaica’s main money-maker, and it is a type of ore used for making aluminum.   We ate supper right after coming back from our hill climb, and I (along with some other brave students) tried ox tail!  It was really rough and hard to chew, and it tasted like beef.  Some of us have the attitude that we might as well try everything while we are down here.  We just finished a lecture on the land of Jamaica.  We were taught about its animals, plants, trees, geography, geography, climate, etc.  I’m not gonna lie, I enjoy learning about the country more than science! ;)  Right now many of us are going to go shine flashlights around the docks to see what kind of nightlife the ocean has before we attempt to night-snorkel in it!  I think some brave men are going to attempt night-snorkeling tonight, and if they don’t have too many horror stories, maybe the rest of us will try sometime before our stay is over.  Bedtime will be coming shortly, as many of us are still behind on sleep and we are snorkeling at a new location at 6:30 a.m.  (Although, strong wind is being forecast.  If that’s the case in the morning, we will have to put off snorkeling until a later day.)  Buenas Noches! :)