Today we went snorkeling in shallow water and saw a sunken ship. I, along with my cold, got an eye infection from one of our fellow students so I couldn’t wear my contacts. It was lucky that we were in such shallow water because I could see most things. Jamaica really does have one surprise after another. It was amazing to be so close to the creatures and swim amongst the rocks and a carpet of green colonial sea anemones. Carissa can swim much closer to things than I can. I’m afraid of a dip in the waves and smushing an anemone or something. Carissa laughs at me, but hey, she can get way closer than I can and that’s ok.

After checking out that snorkel site (which Dr. Anderson says was the clearest he’s ever seen it), we went to the Green Grotto Caves where slaves and the Spanish once ran to hide from the British and slave owners. There was a wishing well, an underground lake (like glass), and an actual bottomless pit. Weird.

Tonight we are all cramming our heads full of facts and scientific information like how a Bluehead wrasse can change from being a female fish to a male fish. Or how a sea cucumber works like a squirt gun – no joke. We have a few creatures that we’ve gotten particularly close to such as our reticulated sea star which we have named after our beloved librarian, Starla. We have also named our Caribbean Reef Squid George – he changes colors. We also have a Web Burrfish (looks like a mini balloon fish) which we have yet to name… perhaps we’ll call him “Bub” which is Jamaican for Bob.

Wish us luck on our test! Tomorrow we’ll be taking the test, liberating the creatures from the watertables, and then heading to Ocho Rios to climb Dunn’s River Falls. Good night!