Wisconsin Lutheran Choir Blog

How Can I Keep from Singing?

Michael

Christmas Festival Concerts | 04 Dec 2013

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

I can say, fairly certainly, that Edward Pola and George Wyle, the writers of the popular Christmas song, ?It?s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,? were not college students in 1963 when they composed the song. College students?may be hard pressed to find examples of why late November and early December is ?the most wonderful time of the year? while neck high in group projects, presentations, juries, research papers, clinicals, along with a host of other daily tasks,?the number of which?rivals that of the angels in the sky on Christmas Eve. Stress from high expectations, whether looming or past, weighs on our minds as we continue to trudge through all the tasks that?must be completed within an ever-shortening span of time.

I can say from the personal experience of being a student through (almost) four full fall semesters at WLC that there are some days that are exactly the opposite of wonderful. There is, though, one part of my daily routine during these bleak and hectic times that provides a much needed relief from the pressures of the everyday grind: choir.

In spite of the impending doom of November and December, each year I anxiously await the time that our choir folders are filled to the brim with Christmas music to prepare for our Christmas Festival Concerts. Ever since my senior year of high school, the Christmas Festival Concerts at WLC have been the highlight of my Christmas season. This being my last year as a member of Wisconsin Lutheran Choir has led me to examine just how much I appreciate and will miss the fellowship that comes with hours of rehearsal and preparation for three evenings and an afternoon of beautiful choir music. I really can?t think of any better way to celebrate Jesus? birth than joining in fellowship and song with other Christians. So next time you?re tempted to grumble at the hustle and bustle that accompanies this season, just take a moment to remember why it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Michael