Wisconsin Lutheran Choir Blog

How Can I Keep from Singing?

2013 United Kingdom and Ireland Tour | 04 Jun 2013

Magical Unity

MelodyA little over two weeks ago, I graduated from WLC and prepared to leave for my final choir tour. During this past semester, I?ve been trying to piece together my feelings about leaving the Wisconsin Lutheran Choir. I?ve only been part of this choir for two years, but those years have been so important and meaningful to me. I remember my first day in choir rehearsal, listening in awe as the students around me created beautiful harmonies together while sight-reading our first piece. Not only was the music exhilarating, but Dr. Nowack?s direction inspired that magical unity that every choir member has felt.

Throughout my busy schedule at school, especially during this past year, choir has been the bright spot in each day. It?s been a place to relax, breathe, and share beautiful music with others. More important than creating great music has been the love I?ve experienced in this choir. I?ve developed life-long friendships and have been welcomed into this amazing community. Although there have been some bumps along the way, choir has been a place where I?ve been welcomed with open arms and have been part of creating some of the most beautiful music I?ve ever experienced.

Throughout this tour, I?ve been moved to tears by the opportunities to sing together in beautiful spaces filled with so much history. While our travels have taken us to majestic places and taught us many things, each time we?ve sung together, I?ve been aware of the fact that this would end. It hit me in full force during our last performance in Galway, Ireland. As we held hands, singing Abide With Me together, I was overwhelmed with the realization that this was my last song with the choir. I was filled with gratitude for the friendships I?ve made, the music I?ve been allowed to help create, and the amazing direction I?ve received. I was also overcome with sadness, knowing that it would soon be over. In a word, the moment was bittersweet.

As I continue in my future, I?ll always be thankful for the amazing opportunity to participate in this choir. It?s been so incredible, and I?ll never forget it. Thank you, Dr. Nowack, for your encouragement and guidance, and thank you, fellow choir members, for the amazing journey.

Melody

One Response to “Magical Unity”

1. on 04 Jun 2013 at 8:26 am 1.Donna Tullberg said …

Our two daughters were privileged to be a part of the choir during their time at WLC, too, and when they sung their last cocncert, experienced the same emotions that Melody has so eloquently expressed. As parents, we also felt bittersweet their time with this amazing group was over, and are thankful to this day for Dr. Nowack’s leadership that helps create this extraordinary gift of musical praise to our Lord. The choir’s rendition of “Abide With Me” is one I particularly enjoy. During our youngest daughter’s senior year , my mother passed away two days before the choir’s Christmas concert. When they sang “Abide With Me”, it not only brought me to tears, but offered great comfort and strength. It will always be my favorite. Thank you!