Wisconsin Lutheran Choir Blog

How Can I Keep from Singing?

2013 United Kingdom and Ireland Tour | 03 Jun 2013

Blessed in Countless Ways

Choir members share in a devotion aboard the Irish Ferries "Ulysses." Readings and discussion were inspired by ancient Celtic Christian rites.

Choir members share in a devotion aboard the Irish Ferries “Ulysses.” Readings and discussion were inspired by ancient Celtic Christian rites.

Exactly two weeks ago at this time, I was participating in a devotion in the Schwan Concert Hall and preparing for one last rehearsal before our departure. It all seems like a blur now as I look back on everything that has happened since then. Was I really in London for two days? Did I actually see the birthplace of William Shakespeare? As I reflect on all of the things I have seen and people I have met, it seems like a dream.

I knew tour would be fun, as every choir tour has been before, but this trip went beyond every expectation that I had. I was blessed to stay with two host families in England that I plan to stay in contact with when I return home. I saw sights, some man-made and some part of God’s Creation, that literally took my breath away and left me standing in awe. I sang praises to God at nine different locations, many of which have been used for worship for hundreds of years. I felt a closeness to God in places like this that cannot be described.

One of my favorite parts of this tour was seeing the Cliffs of Moher. Many things in nature have an evident purpose?food, energy, protection?but what is the purpose of these magnificent rocks? We have no need for them, so why did God put them there? These thoughts ran through my mind for hours, and I kept coming to the same conclusion. God is so great that he made things like this for our pure enjoyment and to show his almighty power. How can one look at such a glorious sight and not see his hand in nature?

As I sit in the airport waiting to return home, I look back at the past two weeks and see the countless ways that God has blessed me through this choir. I have made friendships that go beyond a simple school bond; no matter what country we are in, this group sings their hearts out to the glory of God. We share our love for singing and our love for our Savior, and that is a bond that will never be broken. We say farewell in a few short hours, but I will never forget this experience.

I will hold each of my fellow choir members dear to my heart and pray that God blesses their futures, whether they continue their education next year at WLC or go out to serve our Lord in other ways. I owe a huge thanks to all of them, Dorothy, Dr. Nowack, and our school for making this opportunity possible. God’s blessings on your summers!

Charis