Wisconsin Lutheran Choir Blog

How Can I Keep from Singing?

Anna B

2013 United Kingdom and Ireland Tour | 22 May 2013

Although the singing hasn’t begun, the Arts have!

Anna’s Blog

May 21-Tuesday

Hello Everyone!

Our tour has begun and although the singing hasn’t started, the arts have definitely been experienced during our stop in London. At Westminster Abbey, the music people (those who have studied composers especially) were able to see and appreciate Handel’s grave. A few of the theatre people traveled to The Globe Theatre today and were excited to find that actors were rehearsing an upcoming showing of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” And some of the art people, including myself, got their fill as well by taking advantage of the National Gallery–London’s large art museum.

I would have felt like a bad art student if I had not taken the time to go see the National Gallery, but I was rewarded by an amazing experience just two days into our tour. Seeing the works of Cezanne, Renoir, Seurat, Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Caravaggio, and others, I was in complete awe. It is one thing to see a painting of the Thames in the States, quite another to see it in its native city!
I was so moved by every piece–their simplicity, their color, the brush strokes, the movement, the compositions; they were incredible.

Many school children were on fieldtrips to the museum, and I noticed one girl in particular. She was explaining the pieces she saw to her fellow classmates–for, of course, she knew everything. She came up to a painting I was near, and I heard her say, “This piece is very swirly, and you can tell it’s a swamp because it’s so messy!” ………..It was one of Monet’s bridge paintings! I got a kick out of that–a girl calling a Monet “messy.”

I was quite jealous of the children walking around. They are growing up in the city where many artists’ work was completed and many artists lived! I’m so thankful I was able to go–the Vermeer’s and Rembrandt’s were part of the joy, so was the delicious apple pie I ate in the cafe on the main level, but it has also been so neat to be where art is free to be seen by all, just because it is important.

Thank you for all the support, those who are reading. I would not have been able to experience this afternoon without you!

Prayers for the rest of our journeys! :)

2 Responses to “Although the singing hasn’t begun, the Arts have!”

1. on 23 May 2013 at 3:03 pm 1.Virginia said …

I was lucky enough to attend the inaugural concert last night and hear this wonderful bunch of musicians.

The programme was varied and always exciting and thought provoking. Diciton was superb and the tone, as were the dynamics. The depth of feeling were often deeply moving.

Afterwards we were able to talk to some of the young peple and hear of thier adventures so far, and to share their plans for the next few days in the UK.

It was heartening to meet these polite and charming ambassadors of your institution.

2. on 03 Jun 2013 at 1:23 pm 2.Wisconsin Lutheran Choir said …

Thank you for your kind comments, Virginia. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the concert and meeting the musicians. It was our privilege to perform in Bamford.