Beyond The Bricks

Students lead, serve, and learn outside the classroom

Italy 2014

Posted by Office of Marketing & Communication On January - 1 - 2014

Hello, my name is Dr. Martin Moldenhauer, and I am a veteran English professor at Wisconsin Lutheran College. If you would like to follow me to Italy for the next two weeks, please feel welcome to read this blog.

Starting on January 2, I’ll be teaching 15 WLC students on our campus. We will discuss Italian authors and literature, view a couple of films about Italy, and get ready for our study abroad experience which commences with a flight to Amsterdam on January 4 and our arrival in Rome on January 5.

There we will meet Dr. Janis Flint-Ferguson who is a full professor at Gordon College in Massachusetts. Gordon College has an international program located in Orvieto, Umbria, and we will be staying in their facilities and using their classrooms. Orvieto is located midway between Rome and Florence, so our travel destinations will include those two important cities, as well as Assisi and Pisa.

Although this three credit course is offered as a literature elective, we intend to investigate the additional aspects of Italian art, architecture, history, cuisine, and culture. Of course, we will read the classic Italian authors of Dante, Boccaccio, and Petrarch (in English), but we will also link our travels to previous American authors who have visited Italy and wrote about it. These include Mark Twain, Henry James, DH Lawrence, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edith Wharton.

Having led various student study groups to New England, England, Germany, and Italy in the past, I am quite experienced in these kinds of ventures, and I look forward to the opportunity once again. Please return to these blog entries from Italy as often as you wish, and God bless you in the year ahead.

One Response to “Italy 2014”

1. Julie D. says:

I am once again envious of this opportunity. Travel safely and enjoy!